NEWS: Learning network on uptake of climate and disaster risk assessments
N.B. The deadline for clarification questions has now passed. Answers to clarification questions posted before 14 December 2012).
Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) aims to help decision-makers in developing countries design and deliver climate compatible development. CDKN does this by providing demand-led research and technical assistance, and channelling the best available knowledge on climate change and development to support policy processes at the country level.
There is considerable interest globally in investing in risk assessments to model the potential future impacts of climate change and disasters on countries, sectors, businesses and ecosystems. DFID, The World Bank, UNISDR, UNDP and a range of other organisation are currently involved in financing these at scale.
There are many types of risk assessment, involving multiple sources of information, whether from scientific models used by the insurance industry or from a blend of local meteorological information and traditional knowledge. Such assessments form the basis of effective disaster risk management and climate change adaptation and they should be routinely used to identify priorities for intervention and avoid risky investments. In practice, however, they are often missing or disregarded in decision-making. This disconnect between understanding risk and ensuring its translation into decision-making presents perhaps the biggest challenge to disaster risk management.
CDKN is looking for a supplier to explore the drivers for and barriers to the uptake of climate and disaster risk assessments, and how national and international participants can work to strengthen them. It will focus on the Latin American & Caribbean region, where the demand for this work is clearest, and on both – the producers and end users of risk assessments.
The project is expected to last 7 months starting in February 2013. The project involves:
1. A systematic review of tools and methods used at national and local level for translating risk assessments into risk management investments and strategies, and the various experiences associated with this in Latin America and the Caribbean.
2. A regional workshop, to be attended by regional and national policy-makers and CDKN staff, to share experiences of using risk information in decision-making.
3. A synthesis paper, summarising the key constraints on risk assessments being used effectively in decision-making, with recommendations on how to overcome these obstacles.
CDKN invites bids from single suppliers or partnerships for this work.
Successful bidders will need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Previous experience in DRM and CCA research in the LAC region
- Knowledge of and links to key DRM and CCA contacts and stakeholders in the LAC region
- Knowledge of risk assessment methods and DRM/CCA planning tools
- Strong partnership design, including prior experience of working together (if applying as a partnership)
- High quality and make up of team, including track record in research publications
- Strong level of partnership with southern institutes
- Capability in managing and projects with multiple components
- Demonstrated knowledge of the range of research methods for undertaking the systematic review
- Demonstrated value for money
- Innovation and creativity in approach (including but not limited to partnership models, workshop facilitation and approaches to developing a learning network)
In order to express an interest in this opportunity, please complete the following 2 steps:
Send an email to the CDKN Procurement team (email@example.com) including the following information:
- Subject line: Expression of interest: Learning network on uptake of climate and disaster risk assessments
- Organisation/company name
- A sentence confirming your interest in bidding for the work
- The name of any partner organisations you anticipate that you will work with
- A contact name(s), email address and telephone number for the most appropriate person(s) to send further information to regarding bidding
Your nominated contact(s) will receive an email from the CDKN Procurement team, including an Expressions of Interest selection document, a Non Disclosure Agreement, a copy of CDKN’s Expense Policy and the CDKN Terms and Conditions. Complete the documents where relevant and submit these to the CDKN Procurement team (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the deadline stated below.
Both steps are to be completed and your documents (including the signed Non-Disclosure Agreement) submitted by the deadline of 17.00 UK time on Friday 21 December.
Please note, we will accept and respond to questions with respect to this opportunity and the associated documents provided they are received by CDKN Procurement before 15.00 UK time on 14 December 2013.