REPORT: Sheltering From a Gathering Storm: Flood Resilience in India
Flooding and inundation are recurring problems in the city of Gorakhpur, which is located in the mid-Gangetic Plain between the Rapti and Rohini River basins. Gorakhpur is bowl shaped, with a low-to-flat gradient and high groundwater tables. Vulnerable housing and shelter are key areas that need to be addressed.
This case study, Sheltering From a Gathering Storm: Flood Resilience in India, focuses on key issues related to housing in Gorakhpur, India, and provides insights into the economic and nonfinancial returns of adaptive, resilient shelter designs that take into consideration hazards such as flooding, and temperature increases.
- Gorakhpur is a rapidly growing city.
- Gorakhpur’s geophysical characteristics make it vulnerable to climate-related risks.
- Flooding and waterlogging are recurring problems in Gorakhpur.
- Climate change may affect rainfall events.
- Projected temperature increases will negatively impact the people of Gorakhpur.
- Flood resilient housing is a priority.
- Construction measures to improve resilience are not available to everyone.
- Perceived value of risk mitigation options varies.
- Design competition produced innovative housing model.
- Resilient housing has economic benefits.
- Policy interventions are needed to promote and improve access to resilient housing.
Sheltering From a Gathering Storm is a two-year project supported by CDKN targeting peri-urban areas in India, Vietnam and Pakistan to identify practical solutions for resilient shelters and the long-term economic returns of investing in such shelter structures, focussing on cities facing risks from typhoons, flooding and extreme heat.
- Sheltering From a Gathering Storm: Temperature Resilience in Pakistan
- Sheltering From a Gathering Storm: Typhoon Resilience in Vietnam
- Review of Housing Vulnerability: Implications for Climate Resilient Houses
- Typhoon Intensity and Climate Change, Da Nang, Vietnam
- Extreme Rainfall, Climate Change and Flooding in Da Nang, Vietnam
- Extreme Rainfall, Climate Change and Flooding in Gorakhpur, India (policy brief)
- Qualitative Insights Into The Costs And Benefits Of Housing In Three Wards In Central Vietnam
- Lessons from Typhoon Nari: Storm Resistant Housing shown to be Effective
- Sheltering From a Gathering Storm: The Cost and Benefits of Climate Resilient Shelter
- Extreme Rainfall, Climate Change and Flooding in Gorakhpur, India (technical brief)
- Da Nang’s Extreme Rainfall and Climate Change by the 2020s and 2050s