EVENT: Outreach on IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report, Islamabad, Pakistan
CDKN is collaborating with the Government of Pakistan and the IPCC together with local partners LEAD Pakistan to bring the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report to audiences in Pakistan at this event on 11th August in Islamabad.
This is one of six events throughout July-August 2014 in African and Asian countries, which aim to facilitate discussions among leaders in government, academia, business and civil society on the implications of the Fifth Assessment for their national context. In this high-profile event, expert authors from the IPCC will present and discuss a range of topics including:
• What is the world’s climate change pathway? How might Pakistan climate look in the future?
• Exposure and vulnerability to climate change for livelihoods and poverty: Pakistan’s prospects
• Emission trends and opportunities for low carbon development
• Securing climate finance for mitigation that delivers benefits for climate adaptation and resilience
Throughout the sessions, there will be ample interactive question-and-answer sessions with the audience.
In the afternoon, the Opening Session will see a key-note address from Dr Adil Najam, Dean, Pardee School of Global Studies, Boston University & Chairman Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan. The session will be chaired by Mr Ali Tauqeer Sheikh, Director Asia, CDKN & CEO, LEAD Pakistan. This will be followed by presentations from IPCC AR5 authors on the implications of the major findings of AR5 in Pakistan. The following authors will present their respective working group reports:
Dr Edvin Aldrian, Lead Author, IPCC Working Group I, on Projections of How Might Pakistan’s Climate Look in the Future?
- Dr Koko Warner, Lead Author, IPCC Working Group II, on Implications of Pakistan’s Exposure and Vulnerability to Climate Change for Livelihoods and Poverty
- Dr Mohsin Iqbal, Lead Author, IPCC Working Group II, on Measures to Ensure National Food Security in a Changing Climate
- Dr Joyashree Roy, Lead Author, IPCC Working Group III, on Emission Trends and Opportunities for Low Carbon Development
In the evening, a HARD TALK Session will see a debate, moderated by Ms Khawar Mumtaz, Chairperson, National Commission for the Status of Women & Member, Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan, among a set of influential actors in Pakistan:
- Maj. Gen. Muhammad Saeed Aleem, Chairman NDMA
- Dr Kausar Abdullah, Professor, Forman Christian College University, Lahore, Pakistan
- Dr Ghulam Rasul, Chief Meteorologist, PMD
- Dr Akmal Hussain, Distinguished Professor of Economics, Forman Christian College University, Lahore, Pakistan
- Dr Amir Muhammed, Rector, FAST-NU
- Ms Shehnaz Wazir Ali, Former MNA and Member, Board of Governors, LEAD Pakistan
- Dr Qamar-Uz Zaman Chaudhry, Vice Chair, WMO & Senior Advisor Climate Change, LEAD Pakistan
Download the full programme to learn more. Spaces are limited, so please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested to attend.
Representatives of the media are warmly invited to attend and may register. For policy makers, a dedicated event will be held on 12th August at the Planning Commission of Pakistan on the IPCC’s AR5 Policy Responses for Pakistan.
In addition, for any University students and young scientists interested in attending a dedicated interaction and Q&A session with the IPCC authors on 11th August, 9.00 – 12.30 at the Institute of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (IESE), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Islamabad, please register with email@example.com
Picture Courtesy: Online