PROJECT: Support to the CRGE Facility and Energy Africa Compact in Ethiopia
Project Reference: TAAF 78
Since 2015, CDKN support in Ethiopia has predominantly focused on technical assistance related to accessing climate finance. In 2017, DFID Ethiopia provided funds to further enhance this support and expand into sectoral preparation for green industrial and urban planning and off-grid solar energy provision.
The goals of the project were to:
- Provide strategic, analytical and practical support to the Climate Resillent Green Economy (CRGE) Facility to develop its climate mainstreaming work, at federal and regional level, in the areas of green industrialisation and urbanisation; and attracting climate finance to bankable, transformative projects.
- Support the first tasks in the Energy Africa Compact providing support on Energy Africa and Sustainable Energy For All; working collaboratively with other intiative in the sector and taking forward three studies identified to support the work of the Ethiopia Energy Africa Compact.
CDKN provided technical assistance in the following key areas of work:
Work Stream 1: Support to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Cooperation on climate finance.
Work Stream 2: Climate compatible urban-industrial project development and investment plan for Kombolcha-Mek’ele Industrial Corridor (KMIC) pilot project.
- Climate Compatible Urban-Industrial Project Development and Investment Plan
- Recommendation report for the implementation of ISO EMS certification processes in Industries and Industry parks in Ethiopia
- Pre-feasibility Assessment Report of Priority Project
- Pre-feasibility Assessment Report of Priority Project – Annexes
- Inventory of Energy Initatives
- Green Industrialisation Policy Brief
Work Stream 3: Support to the Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy (MoWIE) on the Energy Africa Compact
Key achievements included:
- Technical assistance to finalise two climate finance projects that have been approved by the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and Adaptation Fund to the value of USD 60 million;
- Guidelines for Project Implementation drafted and an assessment of the steps required to meet reporting standards of the GCF and Adaptation Fund;
- The development of a climate compatible urban-industrial project development and investment plan;
- Three concept notes for possible funding of interventions that would green the Mekele-Kombolcha industrial corridor, in the housing and waste sectors; see for example
- Mapping of government actors and their mandate and responsibilities in relation to the off-grid solar sector;
- Rapid assessment of import barriers in the off-grid solar sector and standards/standards testing of imported equipment;
- Developed an environmental and social management plan/sustainability strategy for the Energy Compact;
- Collected disaggregated primary data and preparing a market intelligence study of the off-grid solar sector in Ethiopia;
- Organised an experience sharing visit to Uganda and in country training of Ministry of Water, Irrigation and Energy personnel on specific issues related to the off-grid solar sector.
- In August 2017 the project held a closing workshop in Addis Ababa.
Budget: GBP 1,104,584
Workstream 1: ASGB, independent consultants
Workstream 2: PwC, IPE, EDRI, Global Development Solutions,Vantage
Workstream 3: Ethio Resource Group, Power for All, Green Vision, Flawless Events, Blue Media