NEWS: Call for expressions of interest – Climate Action Innovation Research Network, Africa
The Artificial Intelligence for Development in Africa (AI4D) programme has launched a call for organisations in Sub-Saharan Africa to apply to be the managing organisation (hub) for the Responsible Artificial Intelligence for Climate Action Innovation Research Network in Africa. Applications close on 5th April 2021.
The Artificial Intelligence for Development in Africa (AI4D) initiative is a four-year programme, developed in collaboration with Climate Change AI. AI4D is dedicated to accelerating the realisation of Africa’s Artificial Intelligence innovations towards achieving continental, and global development and deployment of AI through investments in policy research, and capacity. For investments in innovation, AI4D Africa will support four pan-African innovation research networks focused on climate change, agriculture, education, and gender/inclusion.
This call is for a managing organisation for the climate change innovation network which will be funded by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida).
The goal of this initiative is to advance the responsible development and deployment of home-grown AI innovations to tackle the pressing challenges emerging from climate change in Africa. The selected organisation or group of organisations will be provided funding to design and implement an innovation research network of researchers and innovators applying responsible AI techniques to advance climate action in Africa and participate in and contribute to the global movement on climate change and AI.
Only organisations that meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the call document should submit an expression of interest to host the Climate Action Innovation Network. This call for expressions of interest is open to individual organisations that:
- Have their headquarters based in lower and lower-middle income countries (LLMIC) in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) or consortia of up to three organisations based in an LLMIC in SSA. This call for expression of interest is not open to individuals or government ministries and agencies.
- Have a proven record of working in Africa and supporting design, development and scaling of climate change and AI innovations.
- International expertise in AI and climate change mitigation or adaptation.
- Ability to work in both English and French at a minimum (other languages a plus).
Organisations will be evaluated as eligible according to the following criteria:
- Knowledge and expertise on Climate Action, AI innovations, and research (20%)
- Knowledge and expertise in supporting research and/or innovations networks (20%)
- Innovation Research Network Plan (20%)
- Expertise in synthesis, learning facilitation, and knowledge mobilisation (15%)
- Organisational performance (20%)
- Organisational motivation (20%)
The selected organisation will be responsible for for the following non-exhaustive set of activities (for more detailed information, please see AI4DAfrica):
- Set up and manage the network
- Support the network members
- International collaboration and engagement
- Contribute to advancing knowledge and policy dialogues
- Contribute to the overall AI4D Africa program strategy
Funding and Duration
AI4D Africa will allocate up to CA$1.2million to perform the duties of the Hub. The project can be up to 32 months in duration.
Apply by 23:45 (EDT) on 5 April 2021
Photo: One of Wikimedia Ghana User Group’s monthly meet ups dedicated to improving English Wikipedia. Courtesy of Sandister Tei via Wikicommons.