EVENT: Outreach on IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report, Dhaka, Bangladesh
CDKN is collaborating with the Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the IPCC together with local partners NACOM to bring the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report to audiences in Bangladesh at this event on 7th August in Dhaka.
This is one of six events throughout July-August 2014 in African and Asian countries, which aim to facilitate discussions among leaders in government, academia, business and civil society on the implications of the Fifth Assessment for their national context. In this high-profile event, expert authors from the IPCC will present and discuss a range of topics including:
• What is the world’s climate change pathway? How might Bangladesh’s climate look in the future?
• Exposure and vulnerability to climate change, including natural disasters: Bangladesh’s prospects
• Emission trends and opportunities for low carbon development
• Securing climate finance for mitigation that delivers benefits for climate adaptation and resilience
Throughout the sessions, there will be ample interactive question-and-answer sessions with the audience.
In the morning, an Opening Session will see key-note addresses from:
- Dr John Church, Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC AR5
- M. Rafiqul Islam, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- Dr Mesbah ul Alam, Secretary, Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
Mr A H M Mustafa Kama, FCA, MP, Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Planning, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh will be present as the Chief Guest. The session will be chaired by Professor Dr Shamsul Alam, Member (GED), Planning Commission, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
This will be followed by an IPCC Author Session which will look at the implications of the major findings of AR5 in Bangladesh. Chaired by
Dr Ainun Nishat, Professor Emeritus, BRAC University, the following authors will present their respective working group reports:
- Dr John Church, Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group I
- Dr Mizan R Khan, Lead Author, IPCC Working Group III
- Mr Dipal Chandra Barua, Lead Author IPCC AR5, Cross-cutting Investment and Finance Issues
Download the full programme to learn more. Spaces are limited, so please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested to attend.
Representatives of the media are warmly invited to attend and may register.
In addition, for any University students and young scientists interested in attending a dedicated interaction and Q&A session with the IPCC authors on 8th August, 15.30-18.40 at Nabab Nawab Ali Chowdhury Senate Bhaban, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh, please register with Mr. Rashiduzzaman Ahmed email@example.com
Picture Courtesy: greenfudge