EVENT: Outreach on IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report, Delhi, India
CDKN is collaborating with the Government of India and the IPCC together with local partners TERI and the Business Council for Sustainable Development (BCSD) to bring the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report to audiences in India at this event in New Delhi.
This is one of six events throughout July-August 2014 in African and Asian countries, which aim to facilitate discussions among leaders in government, academia, business and civil society on the implications of the Fifth Assessment for their national context. In this high-profile event, expert authors from the IPCC will present and discuss a range of topics including:
• What is the world’s climate change pathway? How might India climate look in the future?
• Exposure and vulnerability to climate change, including natural disasters: India’s prospects
• Emission trends and opportunities for low carbon development
• Securing climate finance for mitigation that delivers benefits for climate adaptation and resilience
Throughout the sessions, there will be ample interactive question-and-answer sessions with the audience.
In the morning, an Opening Session will see key-note addresses from:
- Shri Jitendra Singh, Hon’ble Minister of State for Science and Technology (Independent Charge), and for Earth Sciences (Independent Charge), Government of India
- Shri Prakash Javadekar, Hon’ble Minister of State for Environment, Forests, and Climate Change (Independent Charge), for Information and Broadcasting (Independent Charge), and for Parliamentary Affairs, Government of India
- Dr Rana Kapoor, President, Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry in India (ASSOCHAM) and Managing Director & CEO, Yes Bank
Dr Pachauri, Chairman IPCC and Director General TERI will facilitate the session, and be joined by Sam Bickersteth, CEO, CDKN and Mr Dipankar Sanyal, Director, BCSD.
This will be followed by an IPCC Author Session which will look at the implications of the major findings of AR5 in India. Chaired by Ambassador Ajaj Malhotra, the following authors will present their respective working group reports:
- Dr Krishna K Kanikicharla, Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group I
- Dr Purnamita Dasgupta, Coordinating Lead Author IPCC Working Group II
- Dr Shobhakar Dhakal, Coordinating Lead Author IPCC Working Group III
In the afternoon, a HARD TALK Session will see a debate, moderated by Dr Prodipto Ghosh, among a set of influential actors in India:
- Dr Ashok Khosla, Founder and Chairman, Development Alternatives
- Dr Navroz Dubash, IPCC Lead Author, WGIII and Senior Fellow, Centre for Policy Research
- Mrs. Seema Jain, Secretary, Dept. of Science, Technology & Environment, Government. of Punjab
- Dr. Joyashree Roy, IPCC Coordinating Lead Author, WGIII and Professor of Economics, University of Jadavpur
- Mr Saurabh Kumar, Managing Director, Energy Efficiency Services Limited
Download the full programme to learn more. Spaces are limited, so please RSVP to email@example.com if you are interested to attend.
Representatives of the media are warmly invited to attend and may register. A press conference will be held between 11:00 to 12:00 in the Seminar Hall GF, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), India Habitat Centre, New Delhi. For more information, contact S S Jeevan: 8447208963 and Basudha Das: 9999881145.
In addition, for any University students and young scientists interested in attending a dedicated interaction and Q&A session with the IPCC authors on the 5th August, 14.30-16.15 at TERI University, Vasant Kunj, Delhi, please register with Mr Dharmender Kumar firstname.lastname@example.org