EVENT: Outreach on IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report, Nairobi, Kenya
Event hosted by Government of Kenya’s Ministry of Environment, Water and Natural Resources, Kenyan Meteorological Services, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and CDKN
31 July – 1 August 2014
Safari Club, Nairobi, Kenya
CDKN is collaborating with the Government of Kenya and the IPCC to bring the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report to audiences in Kenya at this event in Nairobi.
This is one of six events throughout July-August 2014 in African and Asian countries, which aim to facilitate discussions among leaders in government, academia, business and civil society on the implications of the Fifth Assessment for their national context. Over one and a half days, expert authors from the IPCC will present and discuss a range of topics including:
• What is the world’s climate change pathway? How might Kenya’s climate look in the future?
• Exposure and vulnerability to climate change: Kenya’s prospects
• Climate change trends in Kenya
• Headlines on the economics of adaptation
• Opportunities for mobilising finance for low carbon development
• Securing climate finance for mitigation that delivers benefits for climate adaptation and resilience
Throughout the sessions, there will be ample interactive question-and-answer sessions with the audience.
His Excellency Hon. Uhuru Kenyatta, C.G.H. President of the Republic of Kenya
Distinguished speakers include:
• Kenya Meteorological Services (KMS) Director – Mr. James Kongoti
• Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Representative – TBC
• The Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) Representative, Africa Regional Director – Carl Wesselink
• World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Regional Office Representative – Dr. Elijah Mukhala
• Principal Secretary, State Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Ministry of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (MEWNR)- Dr. Richard Lesiyampe
• Governor of Nairobi City County – His Excellency Dr. Evans Kidero
• British High Commissioner – Dr. Christian Turner
• Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (MEWNR) – Prof. Judy Wakhungu
• Dr Maggie Opondo, Coordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group II on impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
• Dr Guy Midgley, Co-ordinating Lead Author, IPCC Working Group II on impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
Representatives of the media are warmly invited to attend and may register; there will be a press conference at midday on 31 July. Journalists and other participants are welcome to register by contacting:
(+254 703 034 701 / +254 703 034 000)
Image: Kenyan agriculture, copyright CIAT.