FEATURE: New framework launched – ‘Framework for Water Security and Climate Resilient Development’
In an effort to address the twin challenges of water security and climate change, the African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) launched the Strategic Framework for Water Security and Climate Resilient Development during the 4th Africa Water Week on 14 May 2012, in Cairo, Egypt.
Supported by CDKN, the Framework was developed by AMCOW to help senior professionals and decision-makers to identify and develop “no or low regret” investment strategies, integrate these into planning processes, and influence future development activities so they become more resilient to climate change and variability.
According to Mr Bai Mass Taal, AMCOW Executive Secretary, the Framework “has been formulated to support the implementation of climate change related commitments expressed by African heads of state in the 2008 Sharm el Sheikh declaration on water and sanitation. The Sharm el Sheikh Declaration in particular calls for African countries to put in place adaptation measures and investment plans to improve the resilience of countries to the increasing threat of climate change and variability to water resources, and enhance capacity to meet the water and sanitation targets.”
Mrs Rhoda Peace Tumusiime, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture at the African Union Commission calls the Framework “a key milestone towards the attainment of the Africa Water Vision 2025 of equity and sustainability in the use and management of water resources for poverty alleviation, socioeconomic development, regional cooperation, and the environment.”
The Strategic Framework has been developed as part of the Water, Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP), an AMCOW programme implemented by Global Water Partnership (GWP). It has evolved through a strong collaborative relationship between AMCOW and its Technical Advisory Committee, GWP and CDKN who funded the work.
In addition, five policy briefs have been produced:
- Water security for development in an uncertain climate
- Building on the foundations of integrated water resources management
- Ensuring adaptation at all levels
- Managing risks and making robust decisions for development
- Innovative approaches to water and climate financing
For further information:
- www.gwp.org/wacdep, www.amcow-online.org
- Strategic Framework for Water Security and Climate Resilient Development
- Strategic Framework Summary
- Project background
- CoP17 side event: Climate Resilience and Water Security in Africa
- CDKN in conversation with Mr Bai Mass Taal, AMCOW Executive Secretary, at CoP17
23 Ministers attend the launch of the Framework at Africa Water Week, Cairo, 14 May. Photo courtesy of GWP.