PROJECT: Advocacy fund support for a workshop to prepare submission of views on REDD+ under AWG/LCA, AWG/KP and SBSTA
Project Reference: ADGL-0006
This project supported the organisation of a workshop to prepare submissions of views on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) under the Ad-hoc Working Group on Long-term Cooperative Action (AWG/LCA), the Ad-hoc Working Group on Further Commitments for Annex I parties under the Kyoto Protocol (AWG/KP) and the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA). The focus of these submissions was:
1. Defining reference levels.
2. Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV): defining how to develop the national forest monitoring system.
3. Defining information systems on how safeguards are addressed and respected, and;
4. Identifying the details of the future sectorial mechanism under the Kyoto Protocol.
The project also supported:
1. Flight tickets and attendance of the Coalition for Rainforest Nations (CfRN) nations at the event.
2. Workshop equipment and services.
3. A report outlining the names of attendees, who the flights are procured for, their rationale for attendance, procured equipment and rationale for their use, and how outcomes will be monitored and evaluated, and;
4. A project completion report outlining all activities and outcomes over the workshop and collating all feedback and evidence of outcomes.
Key outcomes included:
1. An increase in the ability and capacity of the CfRN nations to participate effectively in the UNFCCC process.
2. An increase in the ambition of Annex I parties commitment in the future climate change regime, and;
3. An increase in incentives for non-Annex I parties for sustainable growth.
Further objectives of the project included:
1. Provision of logistical support to the CfRN to ensure that members of the Coalition countries are able to attend the conference, and;
2. Provision of funding to ensure that the equipment and services for the workshop can be supplied.
CDKN funding: £125,000