OPPORTUNITY: KMAF-0014 – National climate compatible development planning: learning from experiences in Africa
CDKN is seeking a partner organisation to lead its new initiative to capture, synthesise and share learning from national climate compatible development (CCD) planning in Africa.
CDKN’s overall purpose is to support developing countries to design and deliver climate compatible development. We provide a combination of advisory work, research and knowledge-sharing, tailored to countries’ needs. We are partnering with progressive national and local governments to design and deliver policies that combine low carbon, climate resilient, and inclusive green growth. We are now working in 40 countries, disbursing GBP20 million a year. CDKN began in 2010 with funding from the UK government’s Department for International Development (DFID) and now also receives funds from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands. It runs initially for a five year period to 2015.
As CDKN enters its fourth year, we are embarking on a range of initiatives to share learning from our programme to date. One of these is a major initiative to synthesise and share African solutions and best practice emerging from national climate compatible development planning to support learning, policy development and possible replication and up-scaling efforts in other countries.
With a number of mature and maturing projects in implementation, African governments have a strong body of evidence and experiences to communicate regionally and globally and ensure that it is transferable and catalytic. In the fourth year of CDKN, we are committed to bringing experience-based knowledge and insight from Africa to the forefront.
We welcome tenders from organisations and consortia that specialise in organisational learning to partner with us on this endeavour. The work will run to December 2014. This initiative will broadly involve:
- Working closely with a core CDKN team to identify learning priorities and formulate key learning questions for our Africa projects, in consultation with key stakeholders;
- Conducting learning processes around the key learning priorities and questions identified;
- Liaising with CDKN partners (governments and researchers) and individual project teams (including external suppliers) to write up a first round of analysis;
- Co-producing a variety of knowledge products with partners and project teams; and
- Delivering an eight-month outreach programme to share the learning in a targeted and systematic way with the aim of influencing CCD policy and practice.
The Learning Partner’s team must include the following skill sets:
- Specialism in organisational and project learning;
- Experience in comparative case study research for policy audiences;
- Understanding and knowledge of CCD planning at national levels in developing countries and Africa specifically;
- Established track record of engagement with policy audiences in a range of African countries;
- Demonstrable expertise in climate compatible development, including a firm grasp of common climate adaptation and mitigation issues in developing countries and Africa specifically;
- Excellent Africa networks in the climate change and development arena;
- Highly honed editing and writing skills in English; Portuguese and French fluency an asset but not essential;
- Expert facilitation skills and previous experience in facilitating similar learning processes in multi-stakeholder settings;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in producing and disseminating policy briefing materials across a range of formats (e.g. PowerPoint, policy briefs, background papers, multimedia); and
- Experience in the countries where CDKN has mature projects is desirable but not essential.
In order to express an interest in this opportunity, please complete the following 2 steps:
Send an email to the CDKN Procurement team (firstname.lastname@example.org) including the following information:
- Subject line: Expression of interest: KMAF-0014 – National climate compatible development planning: learning from experiences in Africa
- Organisation/company name
- A sentence confirming your interest in bidding for the work
- The name of any partner organisations you anticipate that you will work with
- A contact name(s), email address and telephone number for the most appropriate person(s) to send further information to regarding bidding
Your nominated contact(s) will receive an email from the CDKN Procurement team, including [an Expressions of Interest selection document] / [Invitation to Tender document], a Non Disclosure Agreement, a copy of CDKN’s Expense Policy and the CDKN Terms and Conditions. Complete the documents where relevant and submit these to the CDKN Procurement team (email@example.com) before the deadline stated below.
Your documents [including the signed Non-Disclosure Agreement] should be submitted by the deadline of 17.00 UK time on 25 February 2013.
Please note, we will accept and respond to questions with respect to this opportunity and the associated documents, provided they are received by CDKN Procurement before 17.00 UK time on 15 February 2013.