UNDP Community-Based Adaptation Portfolio
Small communities are often the most severely affected, yet the least equipped to cope with the impacts of climate change.In recognition of this, the UNDP-GEF Community-Based Adaptation (CBA) project pilots the community component of the GEF Strategic Priority on Adaptation, building the resilience of communities and the ecosystems upon which they rely in the face of climate change impacts.
Key features of the programme include:
- Implemented in 10 pilot countries, each with a portfolio of 8-20 projects
- Individual projects receive $50,000 in GEF support
- Projects are community-driven and nationally strategic – aligned with country programme strategies on key climate change adaptation priorities
- Projects build resilience to climate impacts into resource-based livelihoods while generating global environmental benefits in GEF focal areas
- Projects are intended to be nationally strategic and globally relevant, leveraging lessons learned from community projects to inform national policy dialogues, while sharing best practices globally (adapted from author)