Habitat Debate Vol 13, No. 1: financing for the urban poor
In Africa, Asia and Latin America the demand for shelter and basic services far outstrips supply, particularly in urban slums. This issue of Habitat Debate examines whether increasing access to finance among the urban poor will help to close this gap.
Topics addressed in this volume include:
- gender and microfinance
- promoting inclusive and effective local economic development
- slums as potential markets as well as manifestations of social injustice and human resilience
- home-financing in Africa
- microfinance for the world’s poorest people
- case studies from Germany, Kenya and Pakistan
- an opinion piece from Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus.