PROJECT: Building the climate resilience of the coffee value chain in Uganda through stakeholder dialogues
Project Reference: AAGL-0017b
- Understanding how and to what extent climate risks affect different stakeholders along a selected value chain
- Understanding the current climate risk management strategies along the value chain and how those could be enhanced through greater vertical and horizontal integration between and among the value chain actors
- Raising awareness and building capacity of key stakeholders along the value chain on climate risk management.
Through several innovation phases, Makerere University and its partners have:
- Mapped the coffee value chain, including process, functions, actors, geography, resources, governance structure and vulnerability to climate risks.
- Conducted three ‘dialogue theatres’ with coffee value chain stakeholders to understand how different stakeholders along the coffee value chain are exposed to climate risk.
- Conducted a 2-day national workshop for stakeholders in the coffee sector.
- Produced and disseminate a final synthesis report summarizing the process and key findings.
- Produced a policy brief on climate risk and agriculture value chains in Uganda and one issue brief which identifies priority issues and knowledge gaps for climate risk management along the coffee chain.
- Arranged a press conference led by the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives in collaboration with the Ministries of Agriculture , Animal Industry and Fisheries , the Ministry of Water and Environment , and the Office of the Prime Minister to highlight the outcomes.
This Project was submitted for Round 2 of CDKN’s Innovation Fund. The fund is designed as open and competitive to provide fast-moving support for innovative initiatives in the field of climate change and development. For Innovation Fund projects, lead applicants must include African institutions, preferably government institutions, and must present ‘game-changing’ ideas.
Lead: Makerere University
Timeframe: 7 months, starting Jan 2013
Funding: £88 306
Project Manager: Simbisai Zhanje
- Project launch press release
- Project launch minutes
- Climate resilient value chains briefing note: promoting an integrated approach to climate adaptation:
lessons from the coffee value chain in Uganda
- Climate resilient value chains briefing note 2: Agro-Value Chain Finance and Climate Adaptation:
The role of the banking sector
- Project launch news feature on Uganda Broadcasting Corporation: