EVENT: South Africa outreach event for the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report
Please see here for a full report from the South Africa outreach event for the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report.
CDKN collaborated with the Department of Environmental Affairs of South Africa and the IPCC to bring the key messages of the Fifth Assessment Report to audiences in Africa at this event in South Africa.
The event took place on 10th-11th November 2014 and ran in parallel with the South African National Climate Change Conference at the same venue from 10th -14th November, to ensure that the findings of the Fifth Assessment Report fed into the national dialogue on climate change. In addition to the main policy dialogue event, media training will took place on 9th November and will brought together journalists from the region.
The outreach event saw more than 500 delegates attend, including nationals from 25 countries: Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Uganda, Gambia, Ghana, Mali, Nigeria, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland, Tanzania, Namibia, DR Congo and Algeria.
IPCC Working Group I – The physical science basis
Facilitator: Luanne Stephens
- Chris Reason – Overview
- Mxolisi Shongwe – Climate projections, observations and irreversibility: what does it mean for Africa?
- Joseph Kanyanga – Climate extremes in Africa focusing on precipitation, floods and drought, temperature and sea level rise
Dialogue and Response
- Babatunde Abiodun (UCT Environmental& Geographical Sciences)
- Chris Reason (UCT Oceanography)
Working Group II: Impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
Facilitator: Emma Archer (Council for Science and Industrial Research)
- Christopher Field – Overview
- Bruce Hewitson – The regional context
- Penny Urquhart – Africa: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability
- Guy Midgley – Adaptation opportunities, constrains and limits: What does it mean for Africa?
Working Group III: Mitigation of Climate Change
Facilitator: Enoch Liphoto – Chapter 9, IPCC
- Youba Sokona – Overview
- Yacob Mulugetta – Mitigation pathways and measures in the context of sustainable development- the energy
- Diana Urge-Vorsatz – Urban Development
- Harald Winkler – Policy and cooperation
Capacity building for local science and research community
Facilitator: Bruce Hewitson, CLA AR5 WGII Chapter 21
- Keynote Speaker: Jean-Pascal van Ypersele, Vice-Chair of the IPCC
- Other presenters: Mark New (Professor at University of Cape Town).
Science-policy interface (adaptation and mitigation)
Facilitator: Chris Moseki, Science Specialist: Department of Water and Sanitation
- Keynote speaker: Chris Field, Co-Chair WGII
- Penny Urquhart, LA of AR5 WGII Chapter 22 on Africa
- Colleen Vogel (tbc), LA of AR5 WGII Chapter 12 on Human Security
Facilitator: Harald Winkler, LA AR5 WGIII Chapter 13
- Keynote speaker: Youba Sokona, Co-Chair WGIII
- Yacob Mulugett, CLA AR5 WGIII Chapter 7