OPPORTUNITY: Global Communications Assistant
The Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) is a British and Dutch government-funded initiative that supports developing countries to deliver climate compatible development. We offer advice and technical assistance, cutting-edge research, strategic knowledge sharing and partnership building. Our services are provided free-of-charge to policy-makers and international organisations.
CDKN’s Knowledge Management team is currently recruiting for a Global Communications Assistant. We’re looking for someone for 2 to 3 days a week. This exciting role will support CDKN’s global communications and public engagement activities. The successful candidate will help to build CDKN as a world leader in technical advice and thought leadership on climate compatible development, by providing assistance with branding, marketing, press work, and events management.
CDKN is an Alliance of 6 private and nonprofit organisations. The Knowledge Management team is based at the Overseas Development Institute (ODI) in Southwark, London and that would be the base for the Communications Assistant. The Communications Assistant should be available to work at ODI at least one day a week; further days may be worked at ODI or at home, by arrangement.
- Support in delivering CDKN’s public affairs and outreach strategy, including:
- Scoping key opportunities for CDKN to promote its products and messages in external events.
- Delivering a high profile, effective CDKN presence at key international events, by organising speaking slots, display stands and dissemination of materials.
- Organising the effective outreach of CDKN’s publications, DVDs and other knowledge products, particularly in the event, workshop and training context.
- Support to editorial and branding work, including:
- Direct support to the Knowledge Management Coordinator in proof-reading publications on climate compatible development themes, evaluating design and layout work (undertaken by our qualified designers) and identifying images for use in publications.
- Championing the CDKN brand and helping CDKN staff to apply the brand values and specific brand guidelines in their daily work.
- Online promotion of CDKN content to third party websites, including:
- Key development and climate change blogs, forums and databases.
- Relevant Listservs.
- Social media outlets, particularly Twitter, Facebook, Youtube.
- Academic outlets including journals and databases.
- Providing assistance in compiling and maintaining CDKN’s contact lists.
- Providing administrative input to communications monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Complete fluency in English.
- Top-notch writing skills and some copywriting or publications experience.Coursework or professional experience in development studies.
- Understanding of and interest in the impacts of and strategies to mitigate or adapt to climate change.
- A demonstrable interest in online debates and news about climate change and development.
- Tact, diplomacy and good negotiating skills.
- Confidence to work with a wide range of stakeholders from diverse cultural and organisational environments.
- Demonstrated communications or campaigning experience.
- Working knowledge of Spanish (preferably) or French.
- Experience in organising events.
As soon as possible.
Should be able to commit to the role for a minimum of 10 months.
To be discussed based on experience.
How to apply