OPPORTUNITY: Call for expressions of interest – Africa Group of Negotiators (AGN) support unit
Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) aims to help decision-makers in developing countries design and deliver climate compatible development. CDKN does this by providing demand-led research and technical assistance, and channelling the best available knowledge on climate change and development to support policy processes at the country level.
The Africa Group of Negotiators (AGN) is an alliance of African Member States. The AGN represents the region in the international climate change negotiations with a common and unified voice. The AGN often faces significant barriers to effective participation in the climate change negotiations. This is in part due to a lack of strategic and technical assistance on complex negotiating issues that is tailored to the interests and priorities of Africa. As a result, the ability of African countries to constructively contribute and influence the UNFCCC process is hindered. And yet it is in the interest of a fair and equitable climate change agreement that Africa is supported to take a more active and influential role in the climate change negotiations.
On behalf of the AGN, the CDKN Advocacy Fund is seeking to procure and fund a supplier to establish a Support Unit to the AGN in the UNFCCC process. This Support Unit will provide the AGN with strategic and policy guidance on the multilateral climate change process, technical and legal assistance on key negotiating issues, and coordination and administrative support, and consists of the following six key positions:
1) Special Advisor to the AGN Chair
2) Administrative Assistant to the AGN Chair
3) Technical Advisor to the AGN
4) Finance Advisor to the AGN Finance Working Group
5) Legal Advisor to the AGN
6) AGN Support Unit Coordinator
The aim of these services is to provide longer-term support to the AGN in a way that builds African capacity. It is hoped that the provision of strategic guidance, technical assistance and coordination support will help ensure the AGN’s effective and influential participation in the UNFCCC process.
It is envisaged that this will ultimately be a 3 year strategic project for CDKN. However, at this stage CDKN will be committing funding for a 12 month period only, to start as soon as possible
Interested suppliers should be able to demonstrate experience in:
- Delivering climate change negotiations assistance and support
- Collaborating with negotiators from developing countries, preferably in Africa
- Providing administrative, logistical and facilitative support to large groups
- Working with stakeholders from across Africa on climate and development issues
- Managing a large, complex climate change programme with a budget of over £100,000
In addition to the above, interested suppliers must be able to demonstrate knowledge & understanding of:
- International climate change negotiations process, including the political dynamics
- Negotiating items of interest and priority to Africa, most notably climate finance, but also mitigation, adaptation, technology transfer, capacity building, Durban Platform, AWG-KP and AWG-LCA
- Key positions of other major negotiating blocks in the UNFCCC process
- Project management and procurement procedures
Preference will be given to suppliers who have a permanent base in Africa.
In order to express an interest in this opportunity, please complete the following 2 steps:
Send an email to the CDKN Procurement team (email@example.com) including the following information:
- Subject line: Expression of Interest: AGN Support Unit
- Organisation/company name
- A sentence confirming your interest in bidding for the work
- The name of any partner organisations you anticipate that you will work with
- A contact name(s), email address and telephone number for the most appropriate person(s) to send further information to regarding bidding
Your nominated contact(s) will receive an email from the CDKN Procurement team, including Invitation to Tender document, a Non Disclosure Agreement, a copy of CDKN’s Expense Policy and the CDKN Terms and Conditions. Please complete the documents where relevant and submit these to the CDKN Procurement team (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the deadline stated below.
Both steps are to be completed and your documents (including the signed Non-Disclosure Agreement) submitted by the deadline of 5pm UK time on 26 November 2012.
Bidders are also asked to confirm by 5pm UK time on 19th November 2012 whether they intend to submit a proposal. This confirmation should be sent via email to email@example.com.
Please note, we will accept and respond to questions with respect to this opportunity and the associated documents provided they are received by CDKN Procurement before 5pm UK time on 16th November 2012.