OPPORTUNITY: Uganda country engagement leader role
Climate and Development Knowledge Network has been engaging with the Government of Uganda (GoU) on a number of projects. The work to date has been mainly focused on scoping a project on the Economics of Climate Change, which is seen as the catalyst required for climate change to be given an increasing profile within the Ministry of Finance. CDKN is seeking a Country Engagement Leader (CEL) to lead on engagement and project development.
We expect the role of the CEL to be two-fold. Primarily, they will act as an engagement partner building relationships between CDKN and the Government of Uganda, DfID Uganda and other stakeholders. The CEL will become a representative of the CDKN in Uganda, and will represent the requirements of the GoU within the CDKN. They will provide independent and informed advice to guide CDKN’s longer term engagement strategy in the country. Secondly, they will facilitate the scoping, procurement and delivery of the GoU’s priority project, jointly with CDKN. This may be an Economics of Climate Change project, or other as determined.
Applicants need to satisfy the following requirements:
- Be a “door-opener” with GoU stakeholders, established through at least 8 years’ experience working in the environmental or economic sectors in Uganda;
- Have existing relationships with the Climate Change Unit, Ministry of Water and Environment and/or Ministry of Finance, and has a strong understanding of the intergovernmental relationships and dynamics in Uganda;
- Have a technical understanding of climate change issues in Uganda. Economics expertise would be a benefit;
- Have good project management and stakeholder management skills, gained through at least 5 years’ experience managing medium sized projects (at least $50,000);
- Be familiar with the donor and academic landscape in Uganda;
- Be resident in Uganda;
- Be fluent in written and spoken English.
It is envisaged that this role will be for up to 14 months starting in October – November 2012. We will be looking to contract an individual for this role, however organisations can also apply but will need to nominate a person that CDKN will work with directly.
Instructions for interested parties
In order to request the Terms of Reference for the role, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Subject line: ‘TAAF-0035b Uganda Country Engagement Leader’
- Organisation/company name
- A contact name, email address and telephone number for the most appropriate person to send further information to regarding this application
The deadline for questions is 17:00pm UK time on Friday 12th October
The deadline for proposals is 17:00pm UK time on Friday 19th October